#GamingNews Review In Progress Discussion - Day 4

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
Share.
A jack of all trades is a master of none.
By Vince IngenitoThis is it folks, the final day of IGN's review-in-progress livestream is over. I've played all the story content, gotten my warlock to level 21, and gotten shot full of holes in Crucible PvP - all while letting you know what I think, as I think it. I'm going to keep playing, thinking, and writing, but from the privacy of my own home. To help put a bow on our week of first impressions and discussions, I had a chat with a few of my friends here at IGN to collect some of our final thoughts. Watch us hash it out above, or read a summary below.
If there's one thing we all agreed upon, it's that mechanically and visually, Destiny is excellent. It looks great, it plays better, and it was rare that we weren't having fun when we sat down and logged in. Even the Crucible multiplayer, bare-bones though it is, delivers enjoyable PvP combat on maps that are visually interesting, and well-designed. The thing is, it's still hard to ignore just how void of features it is.
It's a theme that runs throughout pretty much all of Destiny: breadth at the expense of depth. It does so many different things, and it marries them all together beautifully, but aside from the combat and environment designs, it feels over-streamlined, and even shallow at times. Everything from the open-world questing and exploration, to the RPG systems feel under-developed. That doesn't always prevent them from fulfilling their role in the grand scheme of what Destiny does, but it does raise questions about whether Destiny's endgame will provide the kind of incentives required to keep people playing and grinding.
On Tuesday, Destiny's first raid, Vault of Glass, will become available, and I'm aiming (levels and time permitting) to participate in it before posting my final verdict next week. Right now, Destiny is an extremely enjoyable, gorgeous-looking game that doesn't completely deliver on its ambitious goals. Whether that keeps it from deserving a spot on your shelf will ultimately be up to you, but my final thoughts will be laid bare before this time next week.
Thanks again for following our on-going review-in-progress of Destiny this week. If you want to see anything you might have missed amidst the craziness, refer to the links below, and be sure to hit up the comment sections with your thoughts.
Destiny Day Three impressions.
Destiny Day Two impressions.
Destiny Day One impressions.
Destiny Day Zero impressions.
IGN's Destiny Review*in Progress Page
Vincent Ingenito is IGN's foremost fighting game nerd.*Follow him on Twitter*and argue with everything he says about them.
Cheats & Secrets Destiny
Destiny Characters
IGN Destiny Walkthrough
Tips and Tricks Destiny
Dead Ghost Locations
Gold Loot Chests Destiny Locations

More...