Alienware

Stream:

DM Major Meat

Founder
Addict
Console: Headset:
Hey Guys... Question for you. I am sick of laptops (own 3).. Im going to buy a PC. What do you guys know about Alienware? Good? Bad?

Looking at this one
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r4/pd.aspx?~ck=anav&~ck=mn

Any help here would be helpful.

What i want to do with my PC
-Gaming (Duh)
-Photoshop & Video Editing & Pics.
-Run Microsoft Office Programs
-Want to add in a "better" audio Card as well "if needed".

Stream:

DM Kinger

DM's Biggest Hippie
Founding Member
MM, my brother has a Asus and it is great. I don't like Alien's that much mostly because they are clunky and I don't like the design. My brother does have a laptop, so i don't know how much that is gonna help u, but Asus' have great memory, good speed, good gaming support. Idk about photoshop. Everything runs Microsoft Office so that doesn't matter.

Big question tho, what is ur price range? If its high, i would look into Mac's, lower, than I would look for a non-american brand. They are still reliable. Dell, Microsoft, and even Mac's are meant to be replaced within a short time period.

Stream:

DM Toonaami

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:red;background
I have a Alienware desktop have had it for 2 years in feb. all the parts are easily switchable and I have never had a problem with it. And I love the design of mine IMO. If you need help MM I'll be glad to help ya.

Stream:

DM Vicious

PSN = TheVicious-
Founding Member
well if u like everything it offers and its price then go for it but i havent ventured into the make your own pc place but u can also do that if u want the same specs but at a lower price but it will require some research but ye great computer for what u want

Stream:

DM Deathrow

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:lime;backgroun
Alienware is like buying a Mercedes Benz. It uses Chrysler car parts on a different body, beefed up, jacked up prices and calls it a Mercedes.

Same thing with Dell. Alienware uses simple Dell parts [XPS, Studio], beefed up processor, jacked up prices and calls it an Alienware.

The best thing anyone suggests is building your own computer by ordering your own parts and then finally building it. It could save you around 1-1.5k depending on your build. The problem is that a lot of people aren't knowledgeable how to build computers.

If you aren't down to build your own computer, then you need to start watching sales, which requires a lot of research. Probably the three most important components for a Desktop is going to be processor, video card, and amount of ram.

1) Compare processors.
Find different models and understand which processor gets more bang for your buck using simple mathematics to understand how much you're really paying for. CPU-Benchmark

2) Understand if your video card is worth it and also know if its integrated or not. Problem with buying a pre-built desktop from these companies is that the video card is integrated into the motherboard meaning you can't, CAN'T, swap it out. Different video cards often require advanced chip sets in order to function properly. Comparing products will help you here.

3) 3gb Ram is not the same as 3gb ram. WTF DR YOU TALKIN' CRAZY!!!! Naw son, listen up. This article should sum it up for ya ddr2 ram vs ddr3 ram

Basically the consensus is buy a desktop with a processor decent enough to run your games and programs, a video card that also meets those requirements, and finally having enough RAM so your computer can handle all its processes.

This decision should not be decided in a day. This could take weeks so I searched for the best possible deal on my Dell XPS. I found a deal one day thinking no other deal could beat it, but the next day I found a completely better deal. You gotta watch the deals and make sure you're getting a good deal from it.

ALSO

2012 is about to kick off with SOME HIGH TECH SHIT. First of all, CES 2012 started today. What does that mean? New processors, new computers, new operating system (Win 8), new TVs, new video cards are all going to be shown off at the event.

I would honestly hold off maybe just a little bit until this new technology rolls out. If your in need of a computer pronto then get to sales watchin'

Stream:

DM RiCo ♛

[YARB] Bieber Fever!!!
Founding Member
DR fkn snapped lol. I like Macs lol they are pretty nice. Never used an Alienware but they look like a Benz computer :)

Stream:

DM Major Meat

Founder
Addict
Thanks for the tips guys... Dont know alot about PC's ... so this is very helpful. I was looking at Alienware because i thought i could get a "ready to go" Tower. And lets face it... the shell is the TiTs!

Now... building my own is something im going to look into. There is a small computer shop not far from my house. i have seen some of there custom work...and i think i will stop in and see what they can do for me.

Will get back to you!

Stream:

DM DHomeboy

The King. 普
one of those gaming desktops with the huge CPU with a see-thru shell with red or blue lights and i HD monitor...i saw it in this computer store but i don't know the specifics but its dope and has better graphics than consoles. PCs ftw

Stream:

DM Undead_CORPSE69

The Senior Elite
No im saying the new tvs that gonna come out gonna cost like that much and alright if alienware is like a benz and dell is chrysler then wats ford lmao

Stream:

DM FlyMEXboy

DM mohh1 OG
Founding Member
Naaa man highest tv price I've seen was 4.5 k and that was the 80" sharp tv, I just got a really badass 55" vizio for 1.2k Internet apps and everything

Stream:

DM ViSiioNaRY

Founding Member
Alienware is like buying a Mercedes Benz. It uses Chrysler car parts on a different body, beefed up, jacked up prices and calls it a Mercedes.

Same thing with Dell. Alienware uses simple Dell parts [XPS, Studio], beefed up processor, jacked up prices and calls it an Alienware.

The best thing anyone suggests is building your own computer by ordering your own parts and then finally building it. It could save you around 1-1.5k depending on your build. The problem is that a lot of people aren't knowledgeable how to build computers.

If you aren't down to build your own computer, then you need to start watching sales, which requires a lot of research. Probably the three most important components for a Desktop is going to be processor, video card, and amount of ram.

1) Compare processors.
Find different models and understand which processor gets more bang for your buck using simple mathematics to understand how much you're really paying for. CPU-Benchmark

2) Understand if your video card is worth it and also know if its integrated or not. Problem with buying a pre-built desktop from these companies is that the video card is integrated into the motherboard meaning you can't, CAN'T, swap it out. Different video cards often require advanced chip sets in order to function properly. Comparing products will help you here.

3) 3gb Ram is not the same as 3gb ram. WTF DR YOU TALKIN' CRAZY!!!! Naw son, listen up. This article should sum it up for ya ddr2 ram vs ddr3 ram

Basically the consensus is buy a desktop with a processor decent enough to run your games and programs, a video card that also meets those requirements, and finally having enough RAM so your computer can handle all its processes.

This decision should not be decided in a day. This could take weeks so I searched for the best possible deal on my Dell XPS. I found a deal one day thinking no other deal could beat it, but the next day I found a completely better deal. You gotta watch the deals and make sure you're getting a good deal from it.

ALSO

2012 is about to kick off with SOME HIGH TECH SHIT. First of all, CES 2012 started today. What does that mean? New processors, new computers, new operating system (Win 8), new TVs, new video cards are all going to be shown off at the event.

I would honestly hold off maybe just a little bit until this new technology rolls out. If your in need of a computer pronto then get to sales watchin'
Chrysler's the one using Mercedes parts, not the other way around...

Stream:

DM Vicious

PSN = TheVicious-
Founding Member
so u sayin if i can upgrade like u know read whats compatible and stuff i can pretty much spped up the procesor and ram and i have a decent video card
if its all compatible im pretty much killing lag right? and no im not playing games so i wont need beefed up stuff just an upgrade cause i guess i will try it aswell no need for a new computer

Stream:

DM Blazer

BulletProof
Founding Member
i heard cyber power was a good website i would check online reviews of the website but i heard you select the parts and build it for you. A built PC will rock any alienware out the water. If you want you can give a price you would pay for a pc and maybe DR and i will make some mock pcs and see if you like it

Stream:

DM Psycotic

Motherlovers....UNITE!
Founding Member
Something I have to say: A laptop is a PC. You mean desktop :3

Okay, trolling aside, I'd have to agree with DR. Building your own is the best way to go. Search online for tutorials, or ask someone who might know. Alienware is NOT the path I would take. It's pretty much like a macintosh/ Macbook. It looks great, fancy lights and all, costs a LOT, but you could get the exact same specs for half the price. You're paying for the name, really. I've always been a fan of HP, so I would recommend them. Dell and asus; not so much.

Building a desktop PC would cost you less, and you could order all the parts online for cheap, and then just assemble it yourself. It would be easier to maintain, too.