Out This Week: November 4, 2013

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
With so many new games and movies coming out, it can be hard to keep up. Lucky for you, IGN is here to help with a weekly round-up of the biggest releases each and every week. Check out the latest releases for this week, and be sure to come back next Monday for a new update.
Note: The prices and deals compiled below are accurate at the time we published this story, but all are subject to change.

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Release Date: Tuesday, November 5, 2013
From our Blitz Mode Hands-On:*Blitz is a creative play on Capture the Flag, but instead of having to capture and ferry a flag from the enemy team to areas on opposite sides of the map, players must fight there way into small capture points. When a player scores by entering the opposing team's zone, they are immediately warped back to their spawn. In order to prevent the scoring team from cycling players through a portal to rack up points quickly, the capture point goes into a brief cool down, giving a defending team an opportunity to clear the area.
The Guided Fate Paradox

From our Preview:*The Guided Fate Paradox is known as KamiPara in Japan and revolves around a humorous and quirky story that’s not at all meant to be taken seriously. Your character can equip all sorts of absurd and insane equipment, and you’re accompanied by angels that will help you in battle. This is a game that’s clearly meant to be played and tinkered with, and not one necessarily meant to be experienced for its plot.
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Extended Edition

From July's Confirmation of Extended Edition Details:*The Extended Edition, which features a 13-minute longer cut, will arrive on Digital Download on October 22 and on Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD on November 5. All disc versions of the release come with nearly nine hours of new bonus content, including an audio commentary with writer-director Peter Jackson and co-writer-producer Philippa Boyens, "New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth" featurette, and "The Appendices," a multi-part documentary focusing on various aspects of the film and the Trilogy.
Wii Sports Club

Release Date: Thursday, November 7, 2013

• See it in the Wii U eShop for Free (for 24 hours), $1.99 for an additional 24 hours of access, or $9.99 for permanent access to a single sport
The five beloved sports from the original Wii Sports – bowling, tennis, baseball, boxing and golf – make a dramatic and competitive return on Wii U. Wii Sports Club offers your favorite Wii Sports games individually as downloads in the Nintendo eShop, enhanced with HD graphics, tweaked controls via Wii MotionPlus technology, as well as a much-requested online multiplayer versus mode, so users with broadband Internet access can face off against competitors online. And that's where the "Club" part of Wii Sports Club comes into play. Players will be registered to state or regional clubs and will be able to chat with one another via Miiverse during matches. People will be able to play casually against members of their own club, or take on members of rival clubs to increase their club rankings.
Bowling and tennis will be the first games to get the HD treatment this Thursday, and you'll be able to try them out for free for 24 hours before having to pay to keep playing longer. (It's Nintendo's newest pricing experiment.)
Other Notable Releases This Week

Our picks above are the most notable game and movie releases for this week, but if you look just a bit further into the future, you'll find plenty more gaming goodness coming along in the month ahead. Hit up these links in Pre-Order Corner to go ahead and put your money down on these surefire hits, scheduled to arrive within the next month:
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag – Next-Gen Version

Release Date: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 (PS4) or Tuesday, November 19, 2013 (Xbox One)
From our Review:*Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag is a smart, sprawling sequel that wisely places an emphasis on freedom and fun while trimming most of the fat that bogged down Assassin’s Creed III’s ambitious but uneven adventure. Ubisoft’s take on the Golden Age of Piracy begins in 1715, and is presented with a much-appreciated lighter tone that isn’t afraid to make fun of itself in the name of an entertaining journey.
Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus

Release Date: Tuesday, November 12, 2013
From our Preview:*Into the Nexus begins with Ratchet and Clank transporting twin villains Vendra and Neftin Prog to a location known as the Vartax Detention Center. This voyage brings our favorite lombax-and-robot duo to haunted space, however, and while in the process of bringing his foes to lock-up, they escape Ratchet’s grasp. This leaves Ratchet and Clank alone and stranded in the scariest sector of space they’ve ever visited.
Knack

Release Date: Friday, November 15, 2013
From our Preview:*Whether in the form of television shows, movies, or video games, we’re bombarded with media all the time from every conceivable angle. Sometimes, you have to filter through it all by making some cursory assumptions, and with Knack, the PlayStation 4-exclusive launch title from Sony-owned Studio Japan, it’s easy enough to dismiss the game outright. It looks kiddy, it looks simple, and above all else, it doesn’t look all that next-gen. It appears to be something that could easily be skipped over without a second thought.
The thing is, Knack is really, really fun.
Forza Motorsport 5

Release Date: Friday, November 22, 2013
From our Preview:*I wasn't sure what to expect when I sat down to play Forza Motorsport 5, a game which, along with Ryse, Microsoft is clearly pushing as its biggest Xbox One launch title. I'd seen the trailer at the May 21 reveal, and it didn't look real to me. It had a CG "sheen" to it that just didn't quite make me a believer (see the video at the bottom of the page). But laying my hands on the controller (more on that part specifically in just a moment) put a big fat Forza smile on my face.
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

From our Preview:*The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is the reason I'm sitting here right now. It was the game that made me care about video games, that showed me what they could offer beyond five minutes of fun. It was the first game that enveloped my mind and imagination, that transported me to a world like books did. Going back to that world is an intensely nostalgic experience for anyone of my generation, and actually it reminded me of the things that some of the 3D Zelda games lack when compared to their 2D progenitors: chiefly, that sense of discovery and self-direction. I thoroughly enjoyed Skyward Sword, but it led me along by the nose when Link to the Past left me free to follow my nose.
A Link Between Worlds lets you do that, too.
Super Mario 3D World

From our Preview:*It's been quite a while since a proper Mario game has left me genuinely surprised. While almost always enjoyable, the past half-decade or so of the series has generally delivered a suite of things comprised solely of my own personal assumptions. Not since the original Super Mario Galaxy in 2007 has Nintendo blindsided me with the unexpected. So you can probably imagine how pleased I was to get my hands on a small slice of Super Mario 3D World and walk away genuinely surprised in the best possible way.
Be sure to check back at the beginning of every week for a round-up of the week's hottest game and movie releases.
You can follow Lucas M. Thomas on Twitter, @lucasmthomas.

More...