PS4 First Impressions

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
At long last, the PS4 has arrived. I've spent the last 36 hours or so with the retail console and the 1.50 firmware and while a comprehensive review is on the way, I wanted to provide some initial thoughts. Here's a quick rundown of my impressions thus far, and some things to look out for.
The Setup
Sony has really limited the barriers between the moment you fire up the system and starting a game. At first boot up, the system will ask you to set the time and suggest setting up an internet connection or calibrating the camera, but neither is mandatory. After that, you can jump right into the UI, insert a game disc, and start playing. Of course, to get the full experience, you'll want to sync your PSN, Twitter, Facebook, and streaming service accounts, but even then, those processes are relatively brief.
It's due, in large part, to how fast the system operates. From browsing the UI, launching apps, or checking out live video streams, using the PS4 just feels smooth. Booting up games, however, can take up to a minute, but even then, jumping back to the main interface is instantaneous.
The Console
I've spent a lot of time with the PS4's retail form factor since it was unveiled at E3 in June, but I still can't get over how small it is. It's noticeably smaller than the slim variants of the PS3 and Xbox 360 at my desk and at home and the minimalistic angular design makes it look less like a game machine, and more like a high-end set-top box. The built-in power supply is a godsend, making setting up the system pretty effortless with minimal wire clutter. It's by no means silent, but the PS4's gentle hum is hard to notice from the couch. Even after hours of rigorous use, the noise profile is consistently low.
Prospective owners should handle the system carefully, as the high-gloss top panel accumulates scuffs and scratches extremely fast. If you want to keep your system pristine, transport it in the retail box and clean it with a microfiber cloth.
The Controller
I don't have to wait for my review to say that the DualShock 4 controller is the best controller Sony has ever produced. It's not perfect, but the bigger, more ergonomic handles feel great in your hands and the thumbsticks are tight and responsive. The concave thumbsticks have a nice bit of surface area so you can really hook your index fingers on them. The lightbar is distracting at times — like when you're playing in a dark room, for example — and use of the touchpad is so infrequent amongst launch titles that it's easy to forget it's even there. That said, there's untapped potential in both that we'll see greater use of in 2014 and throughout the system's lifespan.
I'm still getting a feel of the DualShock 4's battery life, but so far, I've only had to charge it once and it's still going strong.
Remote Play
Remote Play is the PS4's surprisingly under-publicized killer app. It impressed me at this week's review event, but the at home experience is even better. From the moment it was announced, I immediately thought about how great it would be to play games on the couch without hogging the TV, but also not have to feel isolated from my girlfriend by playing in a different room. And so far, Remote Play has delivered. The pairing process between the PS Vita and PS4 is simple. Sync the two devices via a unique code presented on-screen on the PS4 and fire up the PS4 Link app on the PS Vita and you're up and running. After that, you can jump in and out of Remote Play at any time — you don't even have to relaunch your game on the PS4.
Performance at my home was largely stable, with only a few brief periods where the connection would lag or need to re-establish itself. I haven't gotten a firm sense of range limitations, but I've tried it out anywhere from several feet to several rooms away from my PS4 without diminishing the experience.
Twitch TV Streaming
Up until now, I've only attempted to stream games through Twitch and other comparable services a few times, but with the PS4, I may pursue it in earnest. Whereas the process for streaming your PS3 or PC can require additional software and hardware, the PS4 makes it painless. If you hit the share button from within any game, you can start streaming within 30 seconds (provided you've already linked your Twitch or Ustream account). Adding the PlayStation Camera to the mix affords a picture-in-picture view of the player and you can opt to have comments from viewers displayed on your screen.
The system detects the best broadcasting settings automatically, but you can manually select from several general presets. Sadly, you can't dictate exact resolution or compression levels, but overall, the picture quality looks great. It's also limited in that it can only stream video from games, not the UI. Anytime you return the dashboard, the video stream is suspended, and if you want to swap games, you'll have to stop the stream entirely. There's definitely room for the feature to grow, but as launch functionality goes, it works pretty well.
I've only scratched the surface of the PS4's total offering, but so far, I'm impressed by what Sony has accomplished. Stay tuned for my review, but in the meantime check out the wealth of game reviews, hardware features, and more already on IGN.
[IGN]2013/11/12/ps4-vs-xbox-one-camera-kinect-more[/IGN]

More...