Google I/O 2014 lottery registration opens April 8th

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
Android By Ryan Whitwam Mar. 26, 2014 9:00 pm
Google has posted details on when and how you can put your name in the hat for a chance to attend Google I/O this year, and it won’t be the mad rush it has been in previous years. From 5m PDT on April 8th until 5pm PDT on April 10th you can submit an application to attend I/O, but Google will be randomly selecting the lucky attendees. Only after winning the lottery are you allowed to give Google a few hundred bucks.
A ticket for I/O will cost members of the general public $900, but academics and students can get in for only $300 (with proper documentation). Most developer conferences are similarly expensive, but Google I/O has garnered a lot of attention because it’s Google, and also because attendees usually get a ton of free swag. At I/O 2013 everyone was given a Chromebook Pixel, and the year before that it was a Nexus Q, Nexus 7, and Galaxy Nexus. Figuring in the value of all the stuff you get, it’s probably worth the price of admission.
Of course, as a developer conference, developers are supposed to have a shot of attending. That’s the rationale for the lottery system. I/O has sold out in mere minutes the past few years, so at least this way no one will have to be hunched over the computer at 5am in an attempt to beat everyone else — interested parties will have three whole days to apply.
The event itself is taking place at Moscone Center in San Francisco on June 25-26, which is a bit later than usual. If you can’t make it to hear about the latest in Android, Chrome, and Search, there will also be a live stream of most events, including the big keynotes. The new Google I/O site also has some neat interactive puzzles to tide you over.

More...