Getting Ready For the 2014 Baseball Season! Need Suggestions!

Stream:

DM Bowser

The Original Bowser™
Founding Member
Console: Headset:
Hey what's up baseball lovers! You guys remember our Fantasy Baseball League right??

http://games.espn.go.com/flb/leagueoffice?leagueId=15133&seasonId=2013
Congrats to Team Padilla for winning it all.. Baseball is really challenging.

Anyways, with all the offseason activity going on with Cano going to the Mariners and other big actions, and with the fact that I'm out of the playoffs in my football leagues, I decided to start thinking about the next baseball league. I personally had a great time doing fantasy baseball despite some loopholes that were exploited *cough* RPN *cough* haha just kidding..

I wanted some suggestions on how I should make the settings for the league this coming season! I'm mainly looking for suggestions from RPN, Bun, and Fantin. You guys were consistent and that's what I love and you guys have a reserved spot for the next season if you want it. The people who were inactive, I remember who, will obviously be removed and replaced. Kinger you are a toss up if you decided you want to be in the league again.

As far as the settings go, I was thinking of starting a keeper league to simulate the MLB in a way, I've always loved this idea but never knew how to start it. It would be a great time to start don't you think? Also, another idea I have is the same H2H setting, but with categories instead of points. I think this would create more balance in your team and not have pitchers score all the points for the week.

Like I said, I want your guys' opinion on this! Thanks!

Stream:

DM 951RPN

Founder
Addict
Categories are fine, and the keeper is a good idea, unless i draft a crappy team, then i say no on the keeper league, lol j/k. And for sure i want in again. :coffee:

Stream:

DM Kinger

DM's Biggest Hippie
Founding Member
I would like to rejoin. I may hit a small summer slump, but I actually will take it more seriously than years past. I will also draft this year which is new.

Anyways, a keeper league seems cool. I'm a bit inexperienced with the concept, but it I like the idea. The categories H2H thing is a better more even set up (as you stated). I felt last year's rosters were really good. The bench and DL space were good. They weren't too small and they weren't hoarder friendly.

The only thing I would like to see taken a bit more seriously would be the trading block and system. It felt like no one made ballsy trades or any good deals (idk tho, my 2 cents).

I look forward to the season this year. Especially with my World Champion Red Sox

Stream:

DM Bowser

The Original Bowser™
Founding Member
I found this on a forum and I really like this concept. But one question I have is should we start the keeper league with our current team or start up a whole new draft using the auction method? Let me know! @DM Kinger, @DM 951RPN, @DM xFantin, @DMxBrAwLeRx

First it has to be an Auction Draft for this to work. We have three different contracts, Minor League, Major League, Long Term. After our Auction draft we hold a serpentine minor league draft for 5 rounds. Anyone drafted here can be signed to a Minor league or Major League contract. Here is how the contracts work.

Minor League contract: Must be drafted in the Minor league draft. These contracts cost no money and last for two years. The year drafted and the following year. In year two if you want to keep the player they can be signed to a Major League contractfor $5.

Major League contract: Can be signed from the minors as stated above. Or you can sign the player for this year and the following year for their draft value.

Long Term Contract: Can only be signed if already on a Major League contract. It is essentially a contract extension that can be signed for 1, 2, or 3 years. With the contract value increasing by $5 for each year of the contract. For example, Player X is drafted for $8 and signed to a Majorleague contractyou would have that player through 2013 season for $8. If this player has turned into a stud you will want to extend their contract at a cost of $5 per year. $13 in 2014, $18 in 2015 and $23 in 2016. The catch on the long term deal is, you have to declare how many years you are signing them for up front. This contract can not be extended again. The reason for this is, if you sign a bad contract, you're stuck with it. And if it's a great contract, you can't own them for too long of a period.

You can only have two of each contract in our league. Giving you a max of 6 keepers.

I believe on ESPN I can set a # of keepers a team can keep. They would have to select them before the date I assigned and I'm assuming, since there's no other options, depending on how many keepers you keep you lose your first picks... Not too fond of this idea even though its simple.

Stream:

DM xFantin

Retired Canadian
Founder
Addict
last year was awesome, I'd be down for the same format. I also agree that more trades need to be made