#GamingNews EA News -EA Wants to Expand Into the GTA, Assassin's Creed "Gigantic Action" Gam

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
10-15-2015 01:42 PM

Despite having traditionally been either the biggest or second biggest game publisher in the world, Electronic Arts hasn't had much of a presence in one of the industry's largest genres. The "gigantic action" game space, which includes wild successes like Grand Theft Auto and Assassin's Creed, might not be without EA for much longer, though.
Grand Theft Auto V"If you look at the biggest segment in our industry, which is action, we don't have a lot," EA Studios boss Patrick Soderlund told IGN. "EA is not known to make gigantic action games like Assassin's Creed or Batman or GTA or those types of games that are really big. The strategic direction that we put in motion is to expand our portfolio more into that segment, to see what can we bring to gamers that maybe hasn't been done before."
That perhaps doesn't come as a major surprise given that one of the company's upcoming Star Wars games is rumored to be a large, open-world RPG. That game is being developed by Dead Space and Battlefield Hardline studio Visceral Games. It's also being worked on by Motive, the newly founded studio headed up by Jade Raymond, someone who knows "gigantic action games," having been a co-creator and producer on the early Assassin's Creed entries.
Pressed on whether EA's plans was to make open-world games, Soderlund admitted it was a possibility, but added, "I'm not suggesting we're going to go after GTA and sell 50 million units. We would love to! But what I'm saying is those types of absolutely AAA, big productions is what we want to do. And I think for us to do that, we need the right people."
Soderlund also reaffirmed a commitment to developing new intellectual properties, something he and EA have been speaking about for years. The company's COO, Peter Moore, told GameSpot earlier this year that Raymond is "going to help us build new IP."
EA has built open-world games in the past, such as Mercenaries, but it's been far from its focus in recent years. That's especially true when compared to a company like Ubisoft, which has made a major commitment to that style of games with titles like Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watch Dogs, and The Division.

More...