Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition Review

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
Reviewed on PC
→ September 4, 2014Unsurprisingly, Dead Rising 3: Apocalypse Edition on PC is a lot like when I reviewed Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One*nine months ago, so be sure to check out that review for an in-depth look at how everything works. The short version is that smashing huge hordes of zombies into goo with ridiculous home-made weapons - such as a sledge hammer with a cement saw tied to it or a toy robot bear with a light machine gun - or driving through them with a flame-throwing steamroller/motorcycle hybrid is, as ever, absolutely madness. It's even better when you bring in a friend in co-op, and the two of you compete to see who can wear the most idiotic outfit.
Watch the original Dead Rising 3 review here.
All of that is the same in the new PC version, which includes the four Untold Stories of Los Perdidos DLC episodes but not the goofier Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha. The biggest difference is that it's noticeably better looking, thanks to the ability to run at full 1920x1080 resolution and, if you make a simple tweak to an .ini file in the Dead Rising 3 directory, can run with an uncapped frame rate. (Create a text file and rename it to “user.ini”, then paste in: “gmpcr_unlock_frame_rate = True” with no quotes. Place it in the same folder as deadrising3.exe before running the game.)*It's strange that there's no menu option to remove the default 30fps cap, though, and you probably shouldn't expect to get a full, steady 60fps unless you're running at medium settings - even my Core i5-4670K and GeForce GTX 780 weren't capable of sustaining it with maxed-out settings when in the midst of a horde. I also noticed a bit of pop-in on certain objects, which carries over from the Xbox One version. Dead Rising 3 will never be the prettiest of games, but it's a damn fun one.
I played mostly on mouse and keyboard, though an Xbox 360 gamepad is naturally supported. Controls are definitely usable - I did a little remapping from defaults - but there's some weirdness. Restrictions on how far you can move the camera to look up and a complete disconnect between which way the camera's facing and which way you're moving both caused some slight frustration - nothing I couldn't get used to, though.

More...