Apple iPhone 5C Review

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
→ September 24, 2013 The iPhone 5C is the iPhone 5 reborn. Underneath its new, candy-colored plastic shell lies all of the core components that made the iPhone 5 one of the best smartphones of 2012. But rather than just relegating last year's flagship to an entry-level offering in the shadow of the iPhone 5S, Apple has instead decided to repurpose last year's model to create something new, but still competitively priced. Do familiar specs dressed up in colorful new casing make the iPhone 5C more than just a retread and a product worth seeking out all its own?
Had you presented the idea to me two weeks ago, before I ever got my hands on the device, I probably would have said no. But after spending some time with the iPhone 5C, the appeal starts to become clear. Very rarely does a device look better in person than its meticulously designed renders and marketing photos, but the iPhone 5C does. The polycarbonate casing wraps seamlessly around the display and the glossy finish highlights the design's bright array of colors.
In spite of the negative connotations plastic materials typically inspire, the iPhone 5C surprisingly*feels*like a premium device. Compared to the thin, flimsy casing on devices like Samsung's Galaxy line, the iPhone 5C is solid with a nice bit of heft to it. In fact, it's slightly thicker and noticeably heavier than the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S. Apple's decision to use plastic should give the iPhone 5C a useful boost in overall durability, but is certain to make visual wear and tear more evident. For all the benefit the glossy finish gives to the luster of the design, it also highlights scuffs with equal measure.
The finish also impacts the tactile experience. The iPhone 5C is slippery to the touch, which not only makes it challenging to keep a firm grip on, but makes it look and feel grimey over time. I would have much preferred a matte finish, like the kind used on many of Nokia's Lumia devices, or perhaps even a textured material. Apple's color choices are also somewhat unusual, with each taking on a muted neon hue. Of the five available colors, the pink model is the most unusual, falling somewhere between pink and red but settling on a shade that is unlikely to satisfy fans of either.
But the allure of the iPhone 5C extends beneath the surface.
Even though the iPhone 5S offers more power, improved cameras, and the new-fangled TouchID, the iPhone 5C's specs are hardly obsolete. The iPhone's Retina Display is outstanding and the rear-facing camera remains one of the best smartphone cameras on the market. While obviously less future-proof than Apple's new 64-bit A7 processor, the A6 chip delivers exceptional performance when running apps and games — Apple's selection of which remains unrivaled. In terms of the larger competitive landscape and the raw specs arms race, the iPhone 5C may fall short, but without any obvious disadvantages during real world use, it shouldn't weigh heavily upon your purchasing decision.
There have been a few minor changes between the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 5C, as well. Apple has upgraded the front-facing camera for better low-light performance and increased the battery size slightly, though battery life seems to be on par with the iPhone 5, providing sufficient juice all-day with casual use. It also supports additional LTE bands for expanded international connectivity, for both residents and roaming travelers alike. While noteworthy, the changes don't really add much to the day-to-day user experience. It would have been nice to see Apple add some significant functional or performance enhancement over last year's model, but again, last year's model is still great.

More...