PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base

Stream:

OUTL4W

gotta light?
Admin
Founder
Addict
Console: Headset:
Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that it’s housed in a normal PC case.

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a “modified PC,” and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers “next summer”.

Some US developers attended a “disclosure meeting” at Sony’s offices this week, with a further meeting to take place in the coming weeks. The purpose of the meeting is for Sony to tell studios what the machine is designed to do, to detail hardware and to show a set of presentations.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words “PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

When asked if PS4 will have an optical drive, specifically Blu-ray, our source responded: “Of course it has.” We’ve been told the hard drive will be 256Gb “as standard,” but it’s not clear if it’ll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

The machine has WiFi and Ethernet connectivity and HDMI out. Our source said the was “no difference” between PlayStation 3 and Orbis input/output.

The UI, however, has been revamped. It was said today that players will now be able to press the PS button mid-game and travel “anywhere” on the system. An example given was buying DLC from the PS Store mid-game then seamlessly returning to play.

“They’re trying to make it as fluid as possible,” our source said.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that it’ll “always be in standby mode”. When you set the console up, we were told, you’ll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event “just before E3″ next year.
http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/01/ps4_details_playstation_4/comment-page-1/

Stream:

DM Deathrow

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:lime;backgroun
It's interesting that the push for more advanced technology in the next system is still the best idea from the company. Sony isn't showing any sign if philosophical change about how much hardware and software they need and looking at NPD and Media Create Sales figures you can tell that Sony hasn't been doing well.

But what does it mean to create a "powerful" system? Is it how much processing power and high definition graphical output you can produce or is it the content you can provide for the system itself? You see I believe that there are two broad sides of the spectrum. However, it seems as if Sony is following the old habit of trying to be the biggest and best. While being the biggest can be the best, changes in the market place can be commonly misleading.

I really do think that Sony will continue to suffer if changes aren't made in the development of their systems. At the same time, I think the PS3 turned into a flop and a new console is needed to alleviate the malicious attacks done to the system. This new name also sounds like a new marketing tactic from Sony. Trying to mix and change, well maybe they understand a little bit.

Stream:

DM TStreets

SC4 Commander
Founding Member
all I would like to see is cross game chat, more support dlc etc for PS plus users, and downloading and installing speeds faster and everything can to back ground dl while u still play. I dunno what 360 has fully but its definitely better than what jackasses at Sony keep doing lol

Stream:

DM FlyMEXboy

DM mohh1 OG
Founding Member
the better hardware is what they are going after because for developers its harder to create games on the ps3 so what they want to do is make this new console better, they already have great content coming out so they just want to make a better console that is easier for others to create content.

and tstreets, i dunno what your on but ps has been putting up discounts forever and the download speeds allllllll depend your internet.

Stream:

DM TStreets

SC4 Commander
Founding Member
yeah pure I do. I have time Warner extreme which is 30mb per second and shit still takes to long. and discounts that actually ppl want the shit they keep putting out is ass. and how would u know u hardly play anymore lol

Stream:

DM 951RPN

Founder
Addict
He plays all the time. Lol he's been playing need for speed. And ps3 isn't that bad, but I sure wouldn't mind game chat, other than that its coo.

Stream:

DM Kinger

DM's Biggest Hippie
Founding Member
Party chat is what I vouch for. So yeah I'm with streets for cross-game chat. Also it talks about 3d games. I'm not really into buying a new TV for this system. We'll find out more at E3 in a year... So sad

Stream:

DM FlyMEXboy

DM mohh1 OG
Founding Member
dude the last discounts they put up were 6$ off for need for speed and i believe assassins creed 3 if you pre order them through psn. not sure bout you but consider that the games just came out, pretty good deal

Stream:

DM Lordlander

Founder
Founding Member
all I would like to see is cross game chat, more support dlc etc for PS plus users, and downloading and installing speeds faster and everything can to back ground dl while u still play. I dunno what 360 has fully but its definitely better than what jackasses at Sony keep doing lol
The downloading speeds are fine, fix your internet.

Stream:

DM TStreets

SC4 Commander
Founding Member
dude the last discounts they put up were 6$ off for need for speed and i believe assassins creed 3 if you pre order them through psn. not sure bout you but consider that the games just came out, pretty good deal
I have nothing to say $6 off wow for going out and actually paying for their service which is beyond ass from what they originally said what plus would be. yay we get betas early. . . fuck betas lol. all I meant was plus should be better if Sony ever wants to compete with xbl my opinion. and its sad im saying this cause I ain't a fan boy of either but to me they are dropping the ball with the whole network as a whole.

ok to LL as I said my service isn't the problem I've stated if u scroll up some its 30mbs per second. anything else I use my net for shit dls and runs great. ps3 where somehow shit takes too damn long. so. . . .

Stream:

DM FlyMEXboy

DM mohh1 OG
Founding Member
I have nothing to say $6 off wow for going out and actually paying for their service which is beyond ass from what they originally said what plus would be. yay we get betas early. . . fuck betas lol. all I meant was plus should be better if Sony ever wants to compete with xbl my opinion. and its sad im saying this cause I ain't a fan boy of either but to me they are dropping the ball with the whole network as a whole.

ok to LL as I said my service isn't the problem I've stated if u scroll up some its 30mbs per second. anything else I use my net for shit dls and runs great. ps3 where somehow shit takes too damn long. so. . . .
you said discounts, you wanna go on a track record, hmm well lets see they have already since the start at least given 30+ FULL free games, not all are psn/xbla games not to mention that they also give discounts on game+all dlc together. its not a shit service. your just a shit customer.

Stream:

DM TStreets

SC4 Commander
Founding Member
all I said was it could be better, choosing what we get isn't right everything on the store should be cheaper for plus members all I meant. jeez

Stream:

DM ToRNaDo412

PSN: xFouR1TwOx
you have to be the only one i've ever seen who's complained about playstation plus tstreets. i've gotten a ridiculous amount of free games for the cost of 1 game lol i am beyond happy with my purchase of plus.

i'm a little upset sony thinks 3d is the future of gaming. i'm not a 3d fan.

Stream:

DM Vash

Sergeant
Get a PC and join the big leagues.. until then keep wasting your money on pos console system.. most games on console cant even push 1080p lmao 720p is more common on console games. Now me im pushing 2560x1440 on all my PC games and texture deatails on ALL PC games just smack lil systems around.. Also less kids who act fucking dumb as shit over mics. PC gaming is where every true gamer should be.

Stream:

DM Lordlander

Founder
Founding Member
Get a PC and join the big leagues.. until then keep wasting your money on pos console system.. most games on console cant even push 1080p lmao 720p is more common on console games. Now me im pushing 2560x1440 on all my PC games and texture deatails on ALL PC games just smack lil systems around.. Also less kids who act fucking dumb as shit over mics. PC gaming is where every true gamer should be.
As a PC gamer, who gives a shit. Consoles are great. Let them do what they want, don't talk down to them. This PC Master race shit is annoying.

Stream:

DM Deathrow

<span style="font-weight:bold;color:lime;backgroun
Sure if games are developed for cross platforms, I could see where the PC would have an advantage over the games developed for the console. However, I don't believe graphical aesthetics change the way I prefer a game when it comes to the storyline.