Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster Review

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
Reviewed on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
→ March 10, 2014Final Fantasy X has a place in history as one of the best JRPGs ever, so finally replaying this PlayStation 2 classic and its sequel in Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita is a real treat. I’m impressed with how well both games hold up, and the extra story content, improved graphics, and re-recorded musical score gives an old fan something new to see.
Even having played Final Fantasy X several times before, I still found myself spellbound by everything that happens in the story. It’s a near-perfect blend of action, drama, humor, and romance that throws together memorable characters like the cheerful blitzball player Tidus and the kind but determined Summoner Yuna. I wish I could lavish equal praise on X-2 (which follows Yuna’s adventures two years later), but just like the first time I played it I found myself rolling my eyes at the silly story and muddled direction. It’s a much less endearing experience, though luckily there are more than enough good moments sprinkled in to make it worthwhile.
However, I equally recommend the gameplay of both X and X-2, especially their superb turn-based combat. Final Fantasy X has the Conditional Time Battle system, which allows you to quickly swap party members in and out of combat, while X-2 has Dress Sphere Grids which enable you to change character’s jobs on the fly by changing their outfits. Both of these systems keep the action flowing nicely, and kept me engaged even while level grinding.
Of course, what really makes this new version special is the audio and visual enhancements. Since Final Fantasy X/X-2 is an HD remastering and not a remake, its PlayStation 2 roots are still pretty apparent. That said, it looks and sounds dramatically better, with many of the jagged edges in the originals now smoothed out and little details added to textures. Everything from big towns to tiny trinkets look fantastic, and the rainbow hues of the land of Spira now pop in more vivid color. Character models for the main cast have been redone as well, and although they’re great for the most part, I found close-ups of their faces a bit… off at times. Their eyes seem less expressive than before, which gives them a slightly vacant look. And the lip sync problems that plagued the original PS2 versions are still present, which can be jarring at times.
Fortunately none of that is an issue in the FMV sequences, which still look absolutely amazing, and have been adjusted to accommodate widescreen TVs and the Vita screen. What’s surprising (and frustrating) is that you can’t skip past them. That may seem like a minor thing, but considering these movies can last for minutes at a time and often come right before a difficult boss fight, it makes zero sense to force people to sit through them – especially on the Vita version.
The musical score of Final Fantasy X has been overhauled as well, and though I prefer some of the original tracks to their remixed counterparts, I have to say I’m impressed with how many songs now seem to lend more presence and beauty to the world. X-2’s soundtrack did not get a remix, but it’s not like either game was hurting in that department to begin with.
As nice as the upgrades are, my favorite thing about this remastered version is all the extra goodies it comes with. Not only does it feature trophy support and the ability to cross-save between the PS3 and Vita versions, but North American fans are finally treated to extra gameplay content from the International Editions. Standout moments include taking on challenging new Super Bosses in X and capturing and training fiends with the Creature Creator in X-2. They made my playthroughs even more enjoyable– so much so that although it only takes 40 to 50 hours to complete each game, I easily spent twice as long exploring new areas, taking on new enemies, and acquiring rare items.
Extra story content also shows up on the disc, although to be honest I didn’t really enjoy the short movie, called “Eternal Calm,” or the roguelike minigame Final Fantasy X-2: Last Mission. Both give you a glimpse of what happens in the story after X and X-2 end, and though they’re not bad, they’re just not all that interesting. I would recommend steering clear of the 30-minute audio drama, which is incredibly weird and confusing.
Fans should also be aware that although both X and X-2 are cross save compatible, they’re not cross-buy, so if you want to take your Playstation 3 save on the go or load up your Vita save to a larger screen, you’re going to have to pay for the privilege.

More...