A Little Of This, A Little Of That

Stream:

News Bot

Your News Bitch
Console: Headset:
August 7th, 2013 | by Ray Flowers |
Meander is my middle name. Today I’ll discuss some fantasy baseball names that have performed very well of late. Some of the fellas are big names. Others, it may take you a second to remember which team they are on.
Chris Davis update: he’s hitting .234 with a .719 OPS over his last 17 games. Not getting it done, other than hitting the long ball that is as he’s still gone deep nine times in his last 30 games though he does only have three over his last 17 games.
Robbie Grossman, oh he’s an outfielder for the Astros if you didn’t remember, had two hits including a homer Tuesday night. He’s working on a 9-game hitting streak that has pushed his average up from .198 to .259. He’s also gone deep twice, driven in seven runs, and scored eight times during those nine games. He’s not really anything more than an AL-only option, but if you’re desperate in mixed leagues he’s hot right now (he’s only owned in two percent of leagues over at Fleaflicker).
Leonys Martin swiped three bags Tuesday to give him 23 on the season. He’s hitting a solid .275 on the year but with only six homers and 23 RBIs he’s really just a speed option, though a solid one at that.
Victor Martinez is batting .275 with 61 RBIs. Had you noticed? V-Mart his .390 in July with 20 RBIs, and through five games in August he’s hitting .313. Turns out all he needed was some time on the field to recapture his past glory (he missed all of last season after all).
Mike Napoli continues to have tests on his hip, and he continues to pass with flying colors as his condition has not worsened this season. Napoli is batting .251 this season with 14 homers and 64 RBIs giving the Red Sox all they had hoped for. He will lose catcher eligibility next season and become just a moderate option in mixed leagues, but for this season he’s a strong option behind the dish.
Bud Norris has looked good in his new home. In two starts for the Orioles he’s picked up two victories, struck out 13 batters and posted a 2.25 ERA and 1.08 WHIP. Expect the honeymoon to wear off soon. He’s just not an elite pitcher.
David Ortiz had four more hits Tuesday night. The 37 year old DH is still getting it done, and then some. It really doesn’t make any sense though. He’s almost the hitting equivalent of Bartolo Colon on the hill. OK, not quite, but you get my drift. Ortiz is batting .326. That would be the second best mark of his career. From 2008-12 he hit .277. Ortiz has a .407 OBP. From 2008-12 his OBP was .374. His SLG is .584. From 2008-12 his SLG was .527. He has 21 homers in 95 games, a 145 game pace of 32 homers. From 2008-12 he averaged 27 homers a season. He currently has 73 RBIs. That’s a 145 game pace of 111 RBIs. From 2008-12 he averaged 89 RBIs a season. And he’s now 37 years old. He should be slowing, not improving. Rarely have we ever seen a batter do this. Ever.
Battlestar Galactica. I didn’t watch the series when it was on the SciFi Channel from 2004-2009, but I’m hooked now. Got the boxed set and have been plowing through the series. Oh and that Tricia Helfer.
The news keeps getting worse for Bobby Parnell. He missed some time with a neck issue (a herniated disk). He was then placed on the DL. Now he’s “hoping” to avoid season ending surgery. He had an epidural this week and will have another next week. If it doesn’t work, he could very easily go under the knife. “I want to get back. But I’ve got to be smart about it, too. If I go out and re-injure it right quick, it’s going to set me back even farther.” He’s been great this season with five wins, 22 saves, a 2.16 ERA and 1.00 WHIP but it’s starting to sound like his effort may be at an end for 2013. The Mets will go with a committee approach in the 9th, but even though LaTroy Hawkins got the save Tuesday, I’d still favor David Aardsma. How bad are the Mets that either is an option. Ugly.
Garret Richards gave up three runs over six innings Tuesday. Since taking over in the rotation for Joe Blanton, Richards has averaged six innings a start for the Angels while allowing a total of five runs. He’s a solid AL-only option while working out of the rotation.
By Ray Flowers
Tags: Bobby Parnell, Bu Norris, Chris Davis, David Aardsma, David Ortiz, Dutch Leonard, Garret Richards, LaTroy Hawkins, Leonys Martin, Mike Napoli, Robbie Grossman

More...